Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Steak Fried Rice

September 24, 2013

This is Fridge 'n Kids

This is my life.  With my love of food and my children, I want to keep track of what food we eat, the crazy things my kids say and do, and everything in between.  I may be trite, boring, grammatically incorrect, funny, mad, sad, happy, glib, or inane...but, this is a "memoir", journal, recipe of my life.  I am hopeful that as I continue to write, that I may capture a snippet of what makes my heart tic and maybe, hopefully, learn some stuff, too.

9.24.13

Steak Fried Rice

Yes, I am Korean by heritage, but no.  I know nothing about Asian cuisine besides the fact that I love to eat it.  So do my kids.  Well, we just love food!  I was adopted and grew up in a small, rural town in Indiana.  It was not until I was, I think, 24 that my uncle started dating a Korean woman that I got to experience Korean food...FOR THE FIRST TIME.  Wow, had I been missing out!  Nothing smells like home like KIMCHI!!!  

I love to create meals from what I already have in the pantry and fridge.  So, steak was the leftover...fried rice was a given.  

I gave some to a teacher...she has had all 3 of my "big" kids.  My oldest daughter, who is a senior, is doing an internship with her for her Early College program.  We don't really know each other.  However, when things got hairy with the ex and his wife during school year of #2KID, (E), and we shall just call them "J&J" for now on, she has been one of the many victims in their crazy, control "thing".  Anyway, she may not like me as much as I like her, but no matter.  I shall give fried rice to whomever I choose, even if it may seem a little weird.  

Food is love, at least to me.  Okay, maybe not the actual thing you put into your mouth, but the love, care and attention I put into the 30 minutes of slicing and dicing as the rice steams.  Love is doing.

My dear, dear Abby (she won't care if I use her name), got some to take to work for lunch.  Another dear friend, Annie, came over for lunch.  I think I am a good cook, but maybe it is just what "we" (my 1 short of a gaggle and me) like.  I am always fearful that "other" people won't like it as much as we do.  But, the highlight of my day was when Abby sent a text message saying, "Hehe.  I was a sriracha virgin."  I "did" good.

My monster, #4KID, (A), did nothing out of sorts, TODAY.  He will be 2, November 1st.  He was really good!  (Oh, there will be a lot of (A) stories)  Fortunately, he recently ate too much candy and cake on an empty stomach at my aunt and uncle's.  He had a painful tummy ache!  Not funny, but educational.  Come to find out, Barney, that purple dinosaur is, too.  There is an episode with "floodle-doops".  They eat candy, cake, donuts, etc. and have no room for healthy food and get a tummy ache as a result.  (A) was in sooooo much pain (I know, what kind of mother am I???  mother of 5, so shut it), that he does NOT want to be a "floodle-doop" ever again.  It has been amazing.  Do you want to be a floodle-doop?  NO!  Then, you have to eat oatmeal first!

How does a mother of 5 write paragraphs?  Tomorrow there may be no writing or food in which I put love.  I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment